Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cracker Toffee Recipe Review

I was going through the millions of emails I get and skimming through them when I stumbled upon a post about Cracker Toffee. My brain said that might be delicious and my stomach agreed so I clicked to get to the original post to see if it was a recipe within my skill ability.

To my delight, a very simple recipe indeed. In fact, you only need 4 things! Graham crackers, butter, brown sugar, and chocolate chips. Easy peasy! I had to get out to a doctor's appointment and pick up a few things at Wal-Mart, so I added graham crackers and chocolate chips to my list as I already had the butter and brown sugar.

Cracker Toffee

Graham crackers (I grabbed the honey kind on accident, but it still tasted delicious.)
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups (or less) chocolate chips (I just eyeballed this, I like chocolate so my eyes said more.)

Place crackers in a single layer in a lined 15-in. x -10-in. x 1-in. pan. In a saucepan, bring butter and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sugar is completely dissolved. Spread over crackers.

Bake at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with chips. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until chips begin to melt; spread chocolate evenly over top. Chill for 15-20 minutes or until set; break into pieces. Store in the refrigerator.


I'll be honest, I tried some before I put it in the fridge to set. It was pretty good, but I do think it's even better after it sets up. Each piece was a little different, some had little bits of crunchy toffee, some very chewy, and my personal favorite was almost soft. I have no idea if there are supposed to be different textures like that or if I did something wrong along the way, but it's still pretty tasty.

My sister Dani was here and she tried some and had to keep herself from eating a bunch. I gave a piece to Richard and asked him later if he liked it. He said no, but he said it could have been because he was still really full from spaghetti.

I've also heard that using saltine crackers is delicious. Saltine Cracker Toffee I might try that next time. I'm a fan of salty and sweet together and then it would already be in smaller pieces.

Next time I try a recipe, I'll get my camera out and take pictures. If you'd like to look at the original blog and post it's at The Rusted Chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment